Symptoms of anal cancer
- Bleeding from the anal opening, pain, discomfort or itching around the anal opening are common symptoms .
- In some cases, a lump or sore is felt, especially in perianal cancer. Some tumors have a central ulcer, while other tumors can spread under an intact mucous membrane.
- Stool incontinence may occur.
- Rectovaginal fistulas can occur when tumors are large and infiltrate the vagina.
- Anocutaneous fistulas and abcesses can develop around the anus.
- For large tumors with development of abscesses, induration around the abscess can make it difficult to assess the actual border of the tumor.