Bjørn Brennhovd MD
Recently updated 18.09.2011
Oslo University Hospital
- About one hour before cystoscopy:
- Insert the disposable catheter by sterile procedure
- Empty the bladder
- 50 ml the hexaminolevulinate solution is instilled in the bladder via the catheter
- The patient should keep the fluid in for about 60 minutes before emptying the bladder
- After emptying the bladder, cystoscopy with fluorescing light should be initiated within 60 minutes
- The patient should be brought from the urology department where the solution was instilled to the operating room for cystoscopy.
- Cystoscopy with or without general anesthesia:
- The cystoscopy instrument is inserted into the bladder via the urethra.
- Examine the changes in the bladder urothelium by examining the patient with the help of white and blue light. During the examination with blue light, any changes will emerge as a colored area in the bladder.
- If needed, biopsies are taken from suspect areas under white light.
Oslo University Hospital shall not be liable for any loss whether direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, arising out of access to, use of, or reliance upon any of the content on this website. Oslo University Hospital© 2018