Marit Muri Holmen MD
Recently updated 07.07.2014
Oslo University Hospital
The procedure is performed aseptically.
- The patient lies in the prone, lateral, or sitting position.
- The breast is fixed.
- The lesion is localized by means of X-ray images from two angles.
- The stereotactic apparatus is mounted.
- The breast is disinfected and local anesthetic is applied.
- The biopsy equipment is prepared.
- 5-6 biopsies are usually taken with slightly different positions of the needle.
- For a calcium containing lesion, the biopsies are put on a piece of X-ray film and X-rayed to determine whether the samples are representative.
- The area of puncture is compressed after the biopsy is taken.
- Patients on anticoagulants are observed for 30 minutes after the procedure. This is also done if the examination is done with a vacuum technique.
- The incision is bandaged.
Oslo University Hospital shall not be liable for any loss whether direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, arising out of access to, use of, or reliance upon any of the content on this website. Oslo University Hospital© 2018