Arild Nesbakken MD
Recently updated 25.05.2016
Oslo University Hospital
Symptoms of colon and rectum cancer
- Blood in the stools. This is always an alarming symptom and must be immediately examined.
- Fresh red, externally on the feces (low source of the bleeding)
- Darker red mixed with the stools (source of bleeding in the colon)
- Occult (often from the oral part of the colon)
- Bleeding anaemia
- Change of bowel habits. Changing constipation/ loose stools is frequent in cancer of colon. In 15-20% complete obstruction is due to narrowing of the bowel lumen. In rectal cancer frequent, loose stools and imperative defecation is typical for cancer of a certain size.
- Pains, often colicy with exacerbation after meal is often seen when the bowel lumen is much reduced. This is most frequently seen in cancers located close to the small/large bowel transition zone.
- Palpable tumor in the abdomen may be identified in slim patients.
- Weight reduction, reduced general condition can be seen in advanced cases, especially in metastatic disease.
Oslo University Hospital shall not be liable for any loss whether direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, arising out of access to, use of, or reliance upon any of the content on this website. Oslo University Hospital© 2017