Preparation for use of scalp cooling machine
Before the machine is turned on
- Check that the plug is in the outlet and is connected.
- Check the level of the fluid in the window on the back of the apparatus and fill if necessary.
- Check that the tubes to the fluid are not twisted or broken.
- Check that there is no visible leakage of cooling fluid.
When the machine is turned on
- When the power is on, the light should be green.
- Make sure that both tubes for the cooling fluid are connected to the recirculation ports.
- Press PUMP ”on” when the left display shows a temperature of -4 °C to -5 °C.
- Listen for the motor.
- The temperature of the cooling fluid is shown on a designated thermometer.
- When the right display shows HI and a sound alarm starts, push the MUTE button on the control panel. When only one arm is used, the available arm is connected to the machine.
After 15 minutes
- The display will show a slow decreasing temperature.
- When the left display shows -4 °C to -5 °C, and the right display shows lower than 5 °C, the system is ready for use. This may take from 1 hour to 90 minutes after PUMP "on" is pressed, depending on the temperature of the room.
Preparation of the patient
Choose the correct size of the cap (small, medium, large).
|Recommended cooling times for common chemotherapy drugs
||1–1 ½ hour
|Paclitaxel weekly 90 mg/m2
|Paclitaxel triweekly 175 mg/m2
||1 ½ hour