- Excessive uteri enlargement related to gestational age
- Bilaterally enlarged ovaries (thecalutein cysts)
- Ovarian hyperstimulation. This condition may lead to ascites and pleural fluid.
- Ultrasonography shows a characteristic vesicular pattern, a "snowstorm" pattern.
- Gynecological examination
- Vaginal ultrasound examination (bladder formation in the uterus)
- Serum hCG
- Lung X-ray and CT
- Abdominal CT or ultrasound abdomen
- MRI of brain for high risk patients
A biopsy of metastasis-suspect lesions should not be performed due to risk of bleeding.
Trophoblastic disease should always be considered in women of fertile age with multiple lung metastases. Lung biopsies may cause fatal bleeding in these patients.