Patients to be treated with radiation toward the head/neck region should have the following assessed and/or treated before treatment starts.
- Cavities in the teeth (number/severity)
- Teeth which require endodontal therapy
- Periodontal disease
- Periapical infection and other pathology in the jaw
- Disease status related to wisdom teeth (pericoronitis)
- Number of teeth which should be extracted
- Oral hygiene (instruction and follow-up)
- Salivary gland dysfunction (information/measures)
- Mucous membrane symptoms
- Edges of teeth or fillings that may cause trauma to the mucosa
- Temporomandibular dysfunction, measure of mouth opening
At least two week interval is necessary between tooth extraction and start of radiation treatment.