- Xylocain® with adrenaline is given.
- Decaying teeth are extracted.
Because of the risk for osteoradionecrosis, extraction of teeth should be avoided in patients who have received radiation therapy. Decaying teeth are therefore extracted in advance. This is often combined with the surgical procedure.
- An incision is made through the mucosa toward the alveolar process.
- The anterior part of the cranial mandible is removed with an oscillating saw at the level of the roots of the teeth.
- Tumor is resected with a 1 cm macroscopic margin.
- The specimen is removed en bloc and marked.
- The mandible is well covered, possibly with use of a skin graft, or nasolabial flap.
- The incision is sutured.
- A nasogastric tube is inserted to relieve the incision.