- A smear of the test material is made and stained for a microscopic examination.
- The specimen is washed with physiological saline to remove plasma proteins which can interfere with antibody-antigen binding.
From the microscopy assessment, clinical information and patient history, it is determined which combinations of antibodies will be used for staining in each case.
- The red blood cells are hemolysed leaving a concentrate consisting of only white blood cells.
- The specimen is analyzed by the flow cytometer.
- The raw data are analyzed using dedicated software.