Harald Holte MD
Recently updated 01.01.0001
- A diagnostic tool for suspicion of disease in the brain or meninges.
- Intrathecal chemotherapy treatment, either as prophylaxis or for treatment of disease.
- Diagnose disease in spinal fluid.
- Treat or prevent disease and/or CNS affection.
If possible, a lumbar puncture should be avoided in cases of:
- Thrombocyte values < 30,000 (give thrombocyte transfusion first).
- For INR values > 1.8. Give Octaplas® or Konakion® first, but weigh this with risk of raised anticoagulation. The effect of Konakion® appears first the day after administration.
- Heparin combined with an antiplatelet agent such as Albyl-E®, Plavix®, Tielid®, ReoPro®, Aggrastat®. Confer with an hematologist.
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation.
- In cases where a patient is undergoing fibrinolytic treatment or where similar treatment concluded less than 2 days prior.
- Hemophilia C – confer with an hematologist.
- Full heparinization.
Oslo University Hospital shall not be liable for any loss whether direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, arising out of access to, use of, or reliance upon any of the content on this website. Oslo University Hospital© 2018