Bjørn Brennhovd MD
Recently updated 02.11.2016
Oslo University Hospital
Biopsy of sentinel node on right side.
Watch video »
The injection is performed at the department of nuclear medicine in the morning of the operation day.
- The patient lies in the supine position.
- 99m Tc-labeled colloidal human albumin is injected into the base of the tumor.
- Images are taken after 30 minutes with a gamma camera to localize radioactivity in the nodes.
In the operating theater
- A gamma camera is used for precise preoperative localization of the sentinel node.
- A small incision is made in the skin over the node.
- The node is retrieved through the incision.
- The skin is sutured with absorbable sutures.
- The node is sent unfixed for frozen sectioning to the pathologist.
Oslo University Hospital shall not be liable for any loss whether direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, arising out of access to, use of, or reliance upon any of the content on this website. Oslo University Hospital© 2018