Trond Warloe MD
Recently updated 24.03.2011
Oslo University Hospital
Installation of a stent is performed on an outpatient and inpatient basis.
The patient must:
- inform the health personnel if they have a known heart valve defect. If so, the patient will be administered a prophylaxis for endocarditis.
- inform the health personnel if they are treated with insulin.
- Inform the health personnel if they are treated with an anticoagulant or arthritis medications. These should be stopped 5 days before the procedure.
- take an X-ray and EKG if he/she is > 60 years and/or has heart disease
Before stent installation:
- Fast for the last 6 hours before the operation
The day of stent installation
- Premedication is administered.
- The patient lies in the supine position on the examination table.
- Dentures are removed.
- A local anesthetic is sprayed in the throat. This will take effect immediately.
- The patient is placed under general anesthesia.
Oslo University Hospital shall not be liable for any loss whether direct, indirect, incidental or consequential, arising out of access to, use of, or reliance upon any of the content on this website. Oslo University Hospital© 2018