Patient preparation depends on the clinical diagnosis.
- Fast for at least 6 hours before the examination in order to increase the absorption of 18F-FDG. But the patient should drink plenty (2-4 glasses per hour. Water, tea, or coffee without sugar or cream/milk added can be substituted for water.
- Measurement of s-glucose is performed before injection of 18F-FDG.
- After intravenous injection of 18F-FDG, it is very important that the patient lies relaxed in a quiet room without talking and avoiding all forms of stimuli, in order to avoid non-specific absorption of 18F-FDG in the muscles.
- Tranquilizers and painkillers are often administered prior to the injection.
- The patient should be warm and comfortable prior to the injection in order to prevent absorption in the brown fat, which may affect the interpretation.
There will be other precautions for neurological and cardiological diagnoses.